Deerfield offers an unmatched environment in which to work. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, they find ways to contribute to the community and enjoy themselves. As colleagues, we enjoy supporting each other and improving our craft as educators. Our faculty are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. We model those skills and dispositions in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and in athletics. Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are member
HEAD GIRLS SOCCER COACH
Deerfield Academy seeks a Head Varsity Girls Soccer Coach to begin work August 17, 2022. The coaching position will be part of a full-time position at The Academy, with other responsibilities assigned depending on the candidate. As such, we are looking for candidates who are not only capable of leading our girls soccer program, but are also excited to work collaboratively with colleagues campus-wide in support of a healthy school culture. Additionally, candidates should be enthusiastic about living in close proximity to students and working with them in a variety of capacities. We are actively looking to diversify our faculty and staff and build an inclusive community
● The primary responsibility of this position will be to oversee all aspects of the girls soccer program. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to: supervision and instruction of varsity student-athletes during practices and games; working with the director of athletics and other athletics staff on the development of practice and competition schedules, game-day responsibilities, promotion of the program (social media, website content, etc.),
management and development of program staff, and monitoring of student-athlete health and wellness; working
with our admissions team to recruit student-athletes to the school; and working with student-athletes, their families, and our college advising team on appropriate college placement.
● A second primary role outside the girls soccer program will be assigned that is determined to be a match between the successful candidate’s strengths and the current needs of The Academy.
● Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory residence or association, advising, dining hall duties, committee work, and other routine duties
● Previous experience coaching at the high school and/or collegiate level
● Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents.
● A bachelor’s degree or higher
● The energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced residential academic community
● A sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team
● A commitment to an inclusive community